Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
I'll be wanting to see a photo of the rifle with the sights. I want to put sights on mine too, but I prefer a peep sight way back on the receiver. Anyone know of if this would be possible? My gunsmith is taking time off to work on his marriage. First time I heard that excuse lol. I'm gonna have to look around to find another gunsmith for the time being.
I will make sure to post a pic or two of the installed sights. Interestingly, I called them just recently to get more information on the process and found out that there is actually a choice, being between plastic sights and metal sights. Who, in their right mind, would have plastic sights installed on a rifle just to save a few bucks? It's ludicrous! We aren't talking about a Red Ryder BB gun. LOL. An option to have plastic sights installed. What a joke. I wonder how many people actually request those sights. Anyway, I called them as I was growing concerned about the absolutely ridiculous laws regarding guns in NY state. I wanted to make absolutely sure that I didn't have to go through an FFL, because even though I already own the rifle, NY likes to come up with VERY restrictive laws regarding just about anything that goes boom. As it turns out, it's what I hoped it was, which is just shipping it to them through UPS and them shipping it back to my doorstep using the same. The return process was what concerned me most.

With regard to the question in your post, I have no idea. The way I see it, though, is that if the metal is thick enough to be able to drill holes for the scope base without disrupting the bolt, then a gunsmith would probably be able to do the same for a peep sight. The front sight wouldn't be much of a problem, I don't imagine.

I have a question, though. Why would you really want to bother with putting a type of open sight that is made for tremendous accuracy on an Axis? Don't get me wrong, the Axis is a great rifle, and Savage's accuracy, even on inexpensive rifles like this, is legendary, but it just seems like it may be overkill for a rifle that really doesn't warrant it. To each his own, but for that type of sight I think I would want a better rifle. At the very least, one with an AccuTrigger, and probably a better barrel. It just seems like such an inexpensive rifle for putting that sort of money into. OTOH, if you did do it, it would probably be pretty darn accurate.