Thread: 30" criterion report.....

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    LongRange
    im not a fan of OCW load development but decided to test it against what i found with the RL-19 groups i shot last weekend just to see if it was close to what i figured was a good load.now first let me say ive NEVER tried the OCW method to the letter as i always figured 200yds was better because it allows you to see bigger variances in charges and while the jury is still out on all of this i think my thinking was wrong and that the OCW method(if followed to the letter)may be the fastest way to find a good load.

im also looking for some input from you guys that use the OCW method and have had good results with it because from what Dan Newberry says "the one hole group isnt always the best charge" which goes against my thinking!!!

so i read up and ran an OCW test to the T today...
    rifle specs...should of added on first post...
    savage PTA...PTG bolt body and bolt head
    criterion 30" match barrel 260rem
    NSS nut and lug
    bell carlson A-5 fully adjustable stock third screw added piller bedded in Devcon
    rifle basix SAV 2 set to 5oz
    glades armory bolt handle
    murphy presision 20MOA base
    nightforce rings
    nightforce NXS 8-32x56 NP-R1
    harris bipod

all loads were RL-19...1x fired and full length resized lapua brass...CCI BR-2 primers and 142g SMKs at .020 off the lands...neck tension was .004...100yds lazed and measured with a 300ft tape...
    today was 86deg and light left to right wind at start of OCW..barrel was cooled for 5mins between each shot

first round fired...

second round fired...

third round fired....

group #1...

group #2...

group #3...

group #4

group #5...

now correct me if im wrong but even with the called pulled shot according to the OCW instructions the 44.2g charge should be my optimal charge weight?
    and from my 5 shot groups from last weekend this co-insides with the OCW method? as i figured 44gs was a good load with a little seating depth adjustment.
    i can see why i wouldnt want to go with the 1 hole group at 45.2g because i set my max charge at 45gs but its hard to disregard that group because its 0.3gs under the book max????
    Last edited by LongRange; 06-14-2015 at 07:11 PM.