Based on my experience, the easy and cheapest way to build a LW mountain rifle on a Savage action is just go buy a Savage LWH from the start. Sharpshooter is correct, the cuts in the action on the LWH only save 1.5 oz when compared to a standard action. The biggest weight savings result from the compact LWH stock (approximately 26 oz) which is about 2 oz less than the factory tupperware stock. Before Savage introduced the LWH, I tried cutting and hollowing out hardwood, walnut and laminated stocks, but I could never duplicate the weight saving in the simple LWH stock and still have a decent recoil pad to help tame the recoil and muzzle jump that results with a light weight, short barrel rifle. Barrel length and contour is the next best place to cut weight. The 20" FW contour barrel on the LWH is around 32 oz verses 38 oz for the 22" factory sporter barrel. The rest of the weight saving with the Savage LWH is in the use of plastic bottom parts instead of steel. But the plastic DBM assembly, bottom cap and trigger guard save about 8 oz verses the same parts in metal.