Quote Originally Posted by yorketransport View Post
Great minds must think alike Yobuck! My 338/408 reamer is very similar to the 338 Big Baer except for the neck and throat dimensions. I talked to Joel Russo about the project while I was planning it since I knew he has had a lot of experience with the 408 wildcats. In fact he's going to build a stock for me for my Chey Tac pistol project. It's one of his rear grip pistol stocks made out of bubinga wood, set up for a BAT CT action. Should be pretty cool when it's done. Joel gave me a ton of info on the 338 Big Baer as well as the 35 and 375 versions. Much like you he recommended just sticking with the tried and true 300gr bergers and sierras in the 338 version.

I thought about going the 50 BMG route. I had one years ago that I sold to somebody who made me the right offer on the right day and I've missed it ever since. A friend of mine runs the local fifty caliber bench rest matches and has been trying to get me to buy another big 50. That just seems like too much of a good thing though.

If you get a chance, I'd love to see a picture of you bench set up. I picked up a piece of 4'x6'x 1.5" oak butcher block today for a $50 and I thought that it would make the perfect bench top for a reasonably heavy but still portable bench. I'd love to know what's working for you though.
Be carefull of the source of information when considering these type guns. The good builders usually dont have or need mouthpieces.
Make sure you go directly to the source and not listen to people like me for example. lol
As for the benches, first when i say we that covers lots of people in PA and not just me.
I didnt initiate the design but i have capitilized on it for our use. And ive also made what i consider improvments again for our particular use.
There is no one size fits all for all applications. Heavy, is not nessarily also solid. The way its built is what makes it solid.
The butcher block top might make it attractive and for sure heavier, but thats about all the benefit it will offer.
A single layer plywood top is all thats really necessary for stability if the right stuff is under it.
I have one that weighs less than some of the guns we put on it at just about 20#.
I have another where each leg weighs almost that much.
When i get to where they are ill take pictures and attempt to post them.