Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3000 fps 17 Centerfire?

Quote Originally Posted by handirifle View Post
    Does Trail Boss smoke? How about AA5744, anyone ever use that?
    No more than the usual smokeless powders. The stuff is made to have very low density couple with reasonable burn rate.

The kernels look like miniature washers with a hole in the middle to complete the resemblance.

Here is nice instruction sheet published by IM±R± Powders: http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Basic Member
    Have you ever thought about heavy varmint 22 bullets sub sonic to keep the noise down? 55 grain blitz kings subsonic I bet would knock the heck out of them quietly.

Basic Member
    It doesn't take much to kill em. I want fragmentation, to prevent ricochets. Heavy bullets at low speed would be like the 22LR I think. My goal is between the 17 HMR and 17 HM2 speeds with light bullets that will have flat trajectories and high frangibility. Also I want to keep the noise level low. Don't get me wrong, I have one neighbor that shoots them with his 20ga shotgun. I hear practice shots all the time around here, so it's not like someone gonna call the cops, but I just don't want or need a 4000fps ear blast. My hearing is diminished already :)

Basic Member
    JASmith
    Thanks I think I actually have a can of it but never used it....yet.

Basic Member
    When I lived in ca I used to use the hot rod 17 and 22 calibers approaching the speed of light. Partially just to piss my neighbor off.

Quote Originally Posted by handirifle View Post
    JASmith
    Thanks I think I actually have a can of it but never used it....yet.
    You're welcome!

A couple of weeks ago, my sons and I messed iwith Trail Boss in the .17 Hornet. We tried to emulate the noise level of a CB cap. Primer only did not get the bullet (.177 lead ball) past the forcing cone. Going to 0.7 gr of TB got it out of the 10" barre pretty reliably with not much noise.

We found that he 20gr Hornady VMax needs 0.9 gr.

We are pretty sure that both loads are subsonic.

A rifle with a longer barrel would be very close to the CB cap noise levels but might push supersonic.

Basic Member
    I was hoping to rebarrel one of my rifles this morning to a 223 and load some test runs up, but other work needed done more. I did get some 22LR time in and discovered my trusty semi auto started misfiring. Most likely the bolt needs a good cleaning, but for now it is sidelined. I have a bolt gun that loves the subsonics, so I made a new flashlight mount (It also gets rid of raiding coons that try to kill my cat or take it's food) and sighted it in. What I need to do now is make a switch to squeeze when the time is right to light em up, instead of having to move my hand u to the light.

Basic Member
    With flame suit on. Have you considered a good air rifle? Not a spring loaded break action but a true solid barrel air rifle. Sheridan/Benjamin or spend a little more and go Airforce and i am sure there are others. Choice of 17, 22, and 5mm ammo.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    Actually I have, but unless you have a high pressure compressor, there is a big associated cost to go with rifles like the Airforce. Plus I can imagine max range is 50yds on a good day. Sometimes I go out to 100.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12