Thread: .204 Ruger Axis Kentucky Critter Getter

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Step 10:Muzzle Break Installation

Ross Schuler Break

Let me start by saying this break is very well designed and machined, plus support was great. Ross was extremely helpful both by email and on the phone and shipping was fast which was nice for a change. So I can't imagine you could do much better for $45.00.

The break installation was a little more challenging than I had hoped , and trying to save a few dollars, I figured I would just do it myself. After speaking to Ross a few times, I knew the likelihood that the break would time at anywhere near 12 o'clock was pretty slim, and first go around it came in at 5 o'clock. He stated that I could use a 150-180 grit sandpaper to take off some of the stainless steel which would allow the break to get in the correct position. Now I don't have a Benchsander which probably would have worked, so I thought with a little elbow grease I could do it by hand. Let's just say that didn't work out so well.

Another solution was needed and decided to try these.

These are stainless steel shims from Gem-Tech and were $14.99 on Amazon. They shipped from Richmond, Va.

It took a little while and some math too, but I ended using a 0.67 shim combination to get the break to 12 o'clock.

These worked well and are great for DIY gun builders like myself that don't have access to a lathe or even decent shop tools. It didn't give that flush/contoured look that I really wanted, but got the job done. Next, put some Blue Loc-tite on the threads and tightened it down to what I felt was about 30 lbs/in.
    Last edited by Rosco; 05-20-2015 at 11:34 PM.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250