Rifle Assembly Steps

1. Clean and Polish Barrel and Receiver
  2. Remove Axis Trigger and Install SAV-1 Trigger
  3. Remove .478 Bolt Head and add .223 bolt head for headspacing.
  4. Assemble barreled action and headspace
  5. Disassemble bolt and clean and lube
  6. Add new bolt handle and assembled .223 bolt head.
  7. Stock modifications, install Pillars and Bed(More on this later)
  8. Install SS Trigger guard.
  9. Install Scope Mounts.
  10. Mount Scope
  11. Install and Time Muzzle Break

Step 1
So when I got the barrel it had quite a few scratches probably from field use. Some were very minor but two of them were noticeable to point it was affecting my OCD. These needed to be removed!! Also, there was a small burr on the threads for the break and some unbeknownst sticky gunk near the shank.

Time for a cleaning, so took the barrel, soaked it in some scalding hot water along with the receiver and barrel nut. Added some Dawn liquid soap with and cleaned up the barrel, muzzle, nut and receiver threads with a Nylon brush and used some Scotch-Brite to remove whatever that stuff was. Then used a towel to dry them off and used a hair dryer at high power to make sure I got all the moisture out.

The polish came next; really I just wanted to remove the scratches as I wasn’t looking to buff it up for a high luster look. After searching around the ole’ internet to find what might work best without causing any damage the finish this is what I came up with. '

These were purchased on Amazon, got two of them, for $5.99 each from Sally’s Beauty Supply. You can see that it has 4 different sections each one progressively getting finer. Not exactly sure what grit they correspond to but I would guess somewhere along the lines of 1000, 1500, 2000 and 3000 . So started with the coarsest, and moved to the finer one by one. Each scratch only took about 10 minutes to remove, so hell I just went over the rest of the barrel as well, and I couldn’t be more pleased, and also, used this to remove the small burr on the muzzle thread. It was like magic!!