This won't help you as far as the 338 Lapua but I just bought a 111 xp in 338 win mag that came with the Nikon Prostaff. !st I only bought the gun because I use to have an older 110 that was a very accurate gun but ended up selling it for rent money or something?? Anyway got the gun went to the range gave it a good cleaning and because I knew about the recoil made sure scope bases and rings are tight put scope back on. I had picked up some Horady Superformance 200 grain sst. The gun shot all over was hitting the paper but no rymn or reason shots were 2 to 3 inches apart. So I replaced the rings and bases with Leupold and remounted the same scope and boresighted. Went to the range and sent 5 rounds down range all five were 1 1/2 inches above the bullseye and could be covered with a quarter. Took it home cleaned it and put it in the safe. It does kick like a mule but it was fun to play with and other than the bases and rings I was impressed with the gun the scope and the ammo. I've recently started to buy Savages again and haven't got a bad one yet Good Luck in your quest