Well, I dont see what you are using it for, but I like my Viper PST FFP 4-16x50. Now I can give you pointers on why I bought it though:
1) If you going to hunt in anything that isn't really really well lit up, you need illumination on FFP reticles many times depending on your eyesight because they can be hard to pick out against a coyote in the dusk.
2) FFP to minimize time spent calculating hold with a variable power scope.
3) Uncapped turrets...this is controversial depending on use. I want uncapped on both windage and elevation. Vortex has another scope that doesn't have illumination but has capped turrets and I really just dont need caps if the turrets are snug. Just something for me to loose and have to take off. Id want them in heavy brush or rough terrain that I might bump the scope alot however.

Now I realize I only spent 900$ on a scope so maybe thats way under your price range, but ive never spent over 130$ on a scope before so it was a big jump for me.

That being said, ive shot the same size groups with a 70$ scope as my 900$ scope so it really doesn't matter as yobuck said. The high end scopes just make it easier to see in low light, have at least decent turret tracking and adjustment, usually more clear, and most of the time tougher (also heavier typically). Sometimes you get into electronics, but I dont consider that the actual scope.

Ive always heard spend as much on the scope as the entire gun costs, but I think thats too open ended. Id pick what suits your needs and wants that has decent glass and tracking above all else. I think some people spend money on NF and S & B just to fit in with their high end buddies at the range. I just cant see spending that much money on a scope thats not going to help anything but ego (not always the case, some people really do benefit from them) when I could spend that couple thousand on reloading supplies, another gun, etc. Heck, I see people around here spending 4-5 K on a custom rifle and high end scope, but dont know how to shoot them and still miss or group terribly.

I figure if Carlos Hathcock can do it over and over and over, with a hunting rifle or machine gun and a scope mounted to it, I can do it with a reasonably cheap gun. Theres other things more important to buy that are more practical. Of course when Im old and retired, ill happily splurge on expensive guns just because I can and they are ridiculously cool, and to make the kids mad watching their inheritance shooting away.