You say that you were shooting "bulk 7.62 rounds". I am guessing these were military surplus, or mil-spec rounds. In most cases, these will not yield the best accuracy. The military's gravitation from aimed fire to "spray and pray" does not require target grade ammunition. Even the use of bulk mil-spec bullets when reloading will usually show a marked decrease in accuracy over a commercial target grade bullet. Strikers are inherently very accurate guns. I suggest that you give the gun a through cleaning, and verify that it has been correctly sighted in at 100 yards. with quality ammunition. Winchester Power Point is a reliable ammunition, and is available for very reasonable prices at Wal-Mart. I have killed a number of deer with the 150 gr. version in my .308 Striker, which will usually put 5 shots into less than an inch at 100 yards. If you still cannot achieve acceptable accuracy, check the scope. Are the adjustments maxed out? If so, you may need a different mount. Are the mount and scope screws correctly tightened? Loose mount screws will play havoc with accuracy. Guard screws should also be checked for tightness of 35 inch pounds. If everything is tight and the scope is not maxed out, you could have a problem with the scope. Burris has a lifetime warranty on all of its scopes, even if you are not the original purchaser, so you may need to return it to the factory for inspection/repair. If you do send it back, have Burris install the Ballistic-Plex reticle ($35), if it is not already in your scope. That is money well spent.

Finally, you mentioned that it "hurt" when shooting. First, is your gun equipped with a muzzle brake? If so, check to see if the brake is open, or closed. You can see the open holes looking at the side of the brake, if it is open. If not, just turn it to open the brake. This will give you about a 30% reduction in felt recoil. Second, is the stock the regular, or Super Striker model? The Super Striker stocks are made from laminated wood, and are thumbhole style. The regular stocks are black plastic. IMHO, the thumbhole opening on the Super Striker stocks is a bit small for my large sized hands, and rubs on the top of my thumb. If that is your problem, some stock surgery may be in order.

Strikers are pillar bedded, which means that the barreled action rests on two pillars set into the stock. The design is for a free floated barrel action that does not touch the stock-only the pillars. However, I have found that my .308 Super Striker shoots better with some forend pressure on the barrel, so I have added a couple of strips of Dymo label tape inside the forend for a pressure point. Good Luck