Well, it depends so much on the terrain and foliage and distance you hunt. Most of my deer hunting is from a deep, thick, dark cedar swamp and shots are generally 30-60 yards. Occasionally 100 yards. In that situation I like a variable 1.5 x 6 or so and keep it on low until I need it higher for that rare long shot. I figure if he's close, I better have it on low. If he's out there I have plenty of time to adjust crank it up.

When hunting the open fields I have a 4.5 x 14 or something so I can see well out to 400 yards or so. Most will tell you a 3 x 9 is good enough out to 400 yds. I have a few nice fxed scopes at 10x, 16x, 20x and 32 or 36x. I like them a lot for target, but could never hunt with them where I hunt. The likelihood of having one bustig through the brush on the run 15 - 20 yards from me and me not able to find them in the scope is just too great.

If you hunt wide open country from a blind or something or maybe off a ridge or something where you will not likely encounter anything inside of 200 yards or so, I would say go with a good 10X. Something like SWFA SS 10x40. good glass, and construction. dependable $300.