17 WSM is NOT enough gun for hogs. A full grown hog will laugh at it. The small yearlings maybe with a well placed head shot while their skulls are small. On a big hog? Forget it. You'll have to go for the vitals and a 25 grain is not enough. You need at least a 145 grain. I've seen guys put 9mm right to the head of a pig and it will not go through the skull. Hog is a tough animal to take. Go for the vitals. Keep the 17WSM in the class it was made for (varmints). If you're not shooting varmints and are looking to bust hogs get the right gun. At least get a 20 Gauge with slugs or a 308.

m2c

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg Killer View Post
I am thinking along the lines of a couple others about the complaints of the 17WSM stainless Bull Barrel.
I really do not have any complaints. For the $'s spent for this rifle I am quite happy, I think some people lose track of what they are getting for $'s spent. I am having only 1 minor issue with mine and that is the mag itself has a tendency to not lock in place without just a little help from my finger nail. So the locking tab needs just a lil persuasion and it stays in place. Called Savage and discussed the opportunity for improvement with them. They are graciously taking care of me.

Other than that this is one awesome critter rifle.
I just purchased this a month ago after reading all the specs between this and the 17 HMR which I just sold to a friend of mine who had been bustin my chops that he wanted it.
Nothing wrong with the Savage 17HMR with sweet 17 scope on it.
I just fired 50 rounds through it this past weekend playing around with it. 20 grain Winchester rounds. Very impressive. I have a Bushnell scope on it and my 100yd pattern is right where it needs to be,
I am now ready to go try it out this weekend on some HOG hunting.

BTW, I have several Savage weapons and had an issue with an earlier rifle. Called Savage and discussed the issue, was well taken care of.
I think some problems may arise out of lack of understanding, or maybe expectations? or just not communicating effectively and courteously.
No I am not a SAVAGE employee.
Happy HAWG Hunting dudes.