Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
Spend your money on AMMO, not apps. When I first started shooting long range, we didn't even have computers, let alone a ballistic program. We got along fine with a pencil and a notebook, and got our information firsthand simply by pulling the trigger.
This is exactly right. First realize how short a period of time its been since computers and as a result these type programs have been available to the masses.
Yet 50 years ago at least where im from, long range shooting and hunting was taking place. Charts were made by someone actually shooting the distances.
My first chart was given to me over 40 years ago by a friend and mentor by name of Frank Weber. He was then and still is a Williamsport shooter
setting several records along the way. It was a chart for a 6.5x300 Weatherby which was a popular cartridge at the time. I had a new 7x300 Weatherby
built on a Hart#4 action. Frank said dont worry it will get you very close. You know what it did, and that chart is still varnished onto one of my
portable benches. I should also add that muzzel brakes were never seen then either which meant shooters werent seeing their own shots.
A 2nd person using large tripod mounted binnoculars and acting as a spotter for the shooter is the only answer for long range hunters.
The programs available today have been an enormous help in establishing good information. But as Long Range has pointed out there are many varieables
to contend with on a day to day basis. Today were being told that by using the proper information first round hits at extreme distances can be expected.
Thats simply B S and those that are saying it know it. Is it possible, yes it is, but then so is winning the lottery. Its also not very likely that even a better than average shooter
will be able to make those type shots on first round (every time) using the best data available. Ive got the place to do it with free room and board for anybody wanting to show their stuff.