Thread: SAVAGE and BHW chosen for 6.5 CREEDMOOR build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    This will be a post of mostly pictures.

The first is a screen capture of the CAD files.
    This is a top-down few onto 3 stocks.
    The Brown stock is the CAD model from the 220-swift in the previous pictures...this model is used in reference while building the 6.5 Creedmoor stock.
    The middle stock, in yellow, is a recent version made by the CAD expert on this project, a good friend of mine. His father got the 220-swift rifle as a gift.
    The bottom stock, the gold one, is a modification of the yellow model. Essentially a version of that yellow stock.

This next screen capture is just an angled few of those same stock in that same order.
    It is quite obvious, even in this view, the intricacy of the brown stock model. There is lots of detailed work within that CAD file.
    The other 2 stocks reflect both the early stage of design that they are in...and the different approach taken in the design. Please don't take this the wrong way. The first stock was designed by an engineer for his dad. The other 2 stocks (essentially copies of each other) reflect the intended recipient.

Here is a closer view of the 2 versions of the 6.5 Creedmoor stock. The differences between each version is very slight.

This next picture shows one of the areas of the stock that is in current development. The very front of the fore-end is a very visible point of character for a stock. The yellow stock shows an approach to finishing off the front of the stock. The gold stock had nothing there...because I haven't gotten to it yet. I am certainly welcome to ideas.

Side view (X-axis) of the front of the fore-end. Again, I welcome and ideas.

Looking straight down the pipe.
    Now this is less about the shape of the 'nose' of the stock...and more about the shape of the bottom of the fore-end. In my opinion, the stock is too beefy. However, what might look awful in CAD...might look great when cut into real wood...and the opposite is also possible. What looks great in CAD...might not work when it gets cut out. TBD.

I hope this post doesn't wander too far...I am moving back to the grip area.
    The shape of the Grip and Tang areas are both critical and hard to get just right.
    This is a side view showing the 2 current versions. The gold stock is in front, and the yellow stock can be seen behind it.

Closer view. The grip-to-tang flow in the gold stock is actually rendered in silver. This is the section that I worked on most recently.

Flipped around, so you are viewing 'from the other side'.
    The yellow stock is now in the way, and the differences in the gold stock can be seen.

Angled view. This really shows some of the curves in the gold stock better. The straighter lines of the yellow stock are also pretty obvious. Preference?
    (The action in this picture rendered as bright orange...I think I had my mouse hovering will hitting the screen capture.)

Again, let me say that I welcome feedback. I will try to address any critiques that are given. I will try to not take offense if you call my work ugly. Please don't take offense if I only consider your advice, but don't implement it. :)
    Thanks for reading so far.
    -PB
    Last edited by PB_Crisp; 03-22-2015 at 09:54 PM. Reason: picture link updates