Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
^^^ just for the record, I don't disagree with that sentiment. I don't even hunt at those ranges because I am not in that environment/terrain. I doubt I would ever attempt to range a deer with a reticle based on an assumption that a deer is a particular "known" size if I did hunt at those ranges, though.

However, that does not mean that a reticle cannot be used for estimating range, particularly when dealing with targets of known size such as a doorway of an office building... In my mind it is more of a "tactical" tool and not the best tool for determining range to a target of any type. That doesn't mean the entire exercise is worthless. Lots of tools, lots of applications, lots of skills are available to the shooter. Some are better than others depending upon the situation and circumstances, just like every other discipline.
Well i dont dissagree with anything you said Foxx.
There are lots of good articles about various things pertaining to shooting.
Probably none more talked about than (reading the wind).
I'll personaly prefer a sighter shot, and frankly so will the experts who write the articles.
If doing all these things is challenging and brings enjoyment to someone thats fine.
But when live targets are involved, educated guesses have no place in my opinion.