geargrinder,
The barrel length definitely makes sense as far as lack of performance. My ultimate goal, even my reason for initially purchasing this gun, was to turn it into a 338 Edge. I've read plenty of your posts and responses here and elsewhere and regard you as somewhat of an expert in that. I always planned on shooting the barrel out then spinning on 338 EDGE barrel. I've got the cash to get one now, but now that I've got the components for the RUM (i.e. 1000 bergers) I'm a little hesitant to walk away from the chambering. If I went with a RUM barrel, what is the optimal length? How about EDGE? Seems a lot of guys are shooting 30 inch barrels on those.

troutdodger,
Everything is starting to make sense now. I've got a really nice 116 in 338 sitting in a 114 fancy monte carlo stock. It is a beautiful gun, but I've been frustrated that I couldn't get it to shoot any better than 1 MOA. I've searched to see if turning the brake on or off would affect accuracy, but I never considered that the brake itself would affect accuracy. It seems to work OK on my daughters 270 wsm, but then again, she's not going to shoot the kinds of distances I'm wanting to reach.