Thread: Need some serious help

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need some serious help

According to my ballistic calculator, (BulletFlight), a generic .30-06 150gr load needs a hair over 14 MOA at 600 yds (edit: assuming a 100yd zero). So since you have a 20 MOA rail, you're more than there from the start. The question then becomes, will you have enough travel in your elevation to be able to dial down to achieve a 100 yd. zero. If you don't insist on a 100 yd zero, and are happy with a 200 yd zero, then virtually any 1" scope should work. Even at a 100 yd zero, most will have enough travel to get you there. I have several .308's with 1" scopes and 20 MOA rails, and they all can get a 100yd zero, although a couple are about out of adjustment to do so.
    Also realize that when you approach the extremes of elevation adjustment, this causes your windage adjustment to become restricted as well.
    Short answer, you should be ok with a 1". But it never hurts to try to find a scope that has relatively more elevation travel, as long as it fits your needs and budget.
    I don't think you really specified what type of shooting you're going to do, only the distances involved. A little more specific info would help us with recommendations, as there are an awful lot of very specialized scopes that would fit different applications within your intended distance and budget.
    Last edited by barrel-nut; 02-07-2015 at 09:27 PM.