Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best scope for under $400

SouthernWoodworking

Best scope for under $400

So, I have been looking for a mil dot scope for awhile. My only criteria is:

1)Must be mil dot

2)must have mil scale reset-able target turrets

3)Must have the setting for the accurate mil scale at the highest setting or be FFP

4) Variable Zoom ( Shooting to maybe 500-700 yards.)

5) Decent Warranty.

The gun is a Hog Hunter in 308.

I have looked at the Millet TRS-1 and the Falcon Menace. I like the price on the Millet and the illuminated reticle, but the since its 4x16 and the mil scale is only accurate at 10 power, I am paying for 6 more "zooms" for no reason. The Menace is FFP, but the warranty scares me since its a British company. I dont want to ship my scope over seas if a problem arises.

So what do yall think?

Twinsen
    SWFA SS 10x42 and F the variable zoom.

Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP
    I saw that coming. They are just around the corner from me. FSIL has a Marine buddy that works there part time. They were deployed together and the guy says their red dots are awesome as well with no returns ever. Hard to believe; need to check them out.

OP, Buy once cry once. Shooting precision is not cheap. I have no experience with the Primary arms scopes but have had 10x, 12X, 16x and 20 x SWFA SS and all did the job very well. That was for still or paper targets.
    Last edited by Robinhood; 01-25-2015 at 07:52 AM.

SouthernWoodworking
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinsen View Post
    SWFA SS 10x42 and F the variable zoom.
    I have to get the variable. This gun is going to be used for hogs and target shooting. Not using 10x power on a 50 yard hog.

SouthernWoodworking
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I saw that coming. They are just around the corner from me. FSIL has a Marine buddy that works there part time. They were deployed together and the guy says their red dots are awesome as well with no returns ever. Hard to believe; need to check them out.

OP, Buy once cry once. Shooting precision is not cheap. I have no experience with the Primary arms scopes but have had 10x, 12X, 16x and 20 x SWFA SS and all did the job very well. That was for still or paper targets.
    Yea I got a PA red dot and love it. The only thing that I dont like is the warranty. Its only 3 years and I want this scope to last awhile. Most of the others like Falcon and Millet have a lifetime.

I looked through a SS at my local store and liked it but, I have to have variable zoom for hunting.

Basic Member
    I've been thinking about getting the millet. Does it work good in low light? I read a review that said the illuminated reticle didn't go low enough for low light shooting.

SouthernWoodworking
    Quote Originally Posted by 67tundra View Post
    I've been thinking about getting the millet. Does it work good in low light? I read a review that said the illuminated reticle didn't go low enough for low light shooting.
    I don't think id even use the illuminated reticle to be honest. If I get it ill let you know.

PA 4-14*44 . +1
    Love mine, posted a few threads about shooting it's groups to 1760, even compared it to the SWFA 3-15.
    I've shot a bit over a thousand rounds through it this year, no hiccups.
    Last edited by darkker; 01-25-2015 at 07:51 PM.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Twinsen
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWoodworking View Post
    I have to get the variable. This gun is going to be used for hogs and target shooting. Not using 10x power on a 50 yard hog.
    Consider an add-on cheapo reddot?

I do not have experience with the PA. If they are good, ignore me.

SouthernWoodworking
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinsen View Post
    Consider an add-on cheapo reddot?

I do not have experience with the PA. If they are good, ignore me.
    Yea the PA's are good. I dont want to speed $350-400 on a scope and another $50 on a red dot.

Basic Member
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Vorte...dsPerPage%3D18

6x24x50 $399 I'm leaning towards this deal
    the millett comes with rings and caps. But from almost everything I've read they are too high so you would need shorter ones.

SouthernWoodworking
    Quote Originally Posted by 67tundra View Post
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Vorte...dsPerPage%3D18

6x24x50 $399 I'm leaning towards this deal
    the millett comes with rings and caps. But from almost everything I've read they are too high so you would need shorter ones.
    Yea, I read the 6x24 isnt that great. They said it distorts past 15 power. I would go Vortex but I want Mil dot instead of dead hold.

Basic Member
    Doesn't it have adjustable parallax?

D.ID
    You can get a vortex viper 6.5-20x50 in the same price range or less.
    I have the viper HS 6-24x50 on one of my 308 wins, great scope (even with the dead hold) I also prefer a mil dot but.....I ended up with one and at the time it cost $600.
    Do not feel bad about it at that price let alone $400. Optics are good, not great (nightforce) but good like (nikon monarch). The only thing about it is the limited elevation travel is like 42 moa+/- total.
    If budget dictated $400+/- and I could live within the parameters of the elevation and I was not putting it on a particularly violent magnum.....Heck yes.
    The only reason for mentioning particular heavy magnum is that vortex recommends no more than 15 inch lbs on the ring caps.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWoodworking View Post
    Yea the PA's are good. I dont want to speed $350-400 on a scope and another $50 on a red dot.
    The PA is only $230
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

SouthernWoodworking
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    The PA is only $230
    Well yea, but if I got that I wouldnt need the red dot. Do you think the 3 year warranty is fine?

Basic Member
    +1 on the PA , A lot of scope for 230.00
    Have one on a 308 & have had no problem at all taking it out to a 1000 yards, over 1200 rnds without a problem.
    I just ordered another (finally came back in stock )read the reviews on there web site you won't be disappointed .

SouthernWoodworking
    Quote Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
    +1 on the PA , A lot of scope for 230.00
    Have one on a 308 & have had no problem at all taking it out to a 1000 yards, over 1200 rnds without a problem.
    I just ordered another (finally came back in stock )read the reviews on there web site you won't be disappointed .
    Yea, I cannot find any in stock

NEVERMIND, ITS IN STOCK! So that is better then the TRS?

Basic Member
    Don't have any experience with the TRS ,or any other of the millets.
    Don't let the price or the warranty scare you off the PA, it's a lot of scope for the money.

SouthernWoodworking
    Yea, I think Im gonna buy it.

SouthernWoodworking
    Ok, I really want to buy this scope, but I am being swayed away (on another forum) Now I really want the PA but, others are saying to buy a $600 scope instead of buying the PA. Now Im stuck in a rock and a hard place.....

Basic Member
    Now if your talking $600, your in a different league of scopes

SouthernWoodworking
    Quote Originally Posted by keeki View Post
    Now if your talking $600, your in a different league of scopes
    Oh no, Like I cannot afford $600

Basic Member
    It's all in what you like. People swear by the swfa scopes and I've never liked those scopes. I had the fixed 16x swfa, a konus pro m30, and an osprey international that I did a side by side on. The osprey and konus both out shined the swfa in clarity and brightness, they all tracked surprisingly well for price point, but the konus m30 was just clearer at long range than the other 2. Toughness would be a toss up between the swfa and the osprey. It's just hard to say which is best to you until you get them side by side. But it's alot easier to replace a $230 scope than it is a $600 scope if ya don't like it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast