Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: reducing stock flex

Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    I've been saying this for years but apparently everyone prefers to learn the hard way...
    LOL! Could not be said any better.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blink View Post
    i would need to see both sides of the boys stocks,i see most have a cheek rest on them,unfortunately,i'm one of the few who shoot left with a right handed rifle.
    would be cool if they could use a right handed action with left handed shooting stock. it would for me then be a "custom" stock.lol
    THey used to make these. I have a couple thumbhole stocks that are left handed with right hand bolts. Classic or prairie hunter styles might be avail in that configuration, too. I am not finding them on their new website, though. If I were you, I'd call and ask.
    Last edited by foxx; 01-10-2015 at 11:21 AM.

DaveD
    Not being a gunsmith, I was wondering while reading this thread, would something like a guiters Truss rod be useful? Seems it might allow for adjustments which (once again Im not a smith) could help with stringing shots due to how the stock is pulling. Just a thought.

reducing stock flex

I've had phenomenal success with Elmer's glue and wet spaghetti noodles.
    :-/
    I'd spare myself the grief and just spend the $100 on a Boyd's, and use it as a baseline for "farting around" with.
    I have a Remington (pardon my profanity) that I tried removing the pressure point and filling the voids in the stock with automotive fiberglass Bondo in the forearm, and expanding foam and axle bolts from my old Massey Ferguson tractor in the hollow of the buttstock. No lie this time. How's that for farting around? Lol. Here's what all that accomplished:
    1. Forearm flex was reduced noticeably.
    2. The stock had better balance and more heft, causing recoil to be tamed significantly. It is a .30-06.
    3. The stock had better balance and, did I mention, more HEFT? (remember those axle bolts?)
    4. It went from a barely sub-MOA rifle to a 1 1/2 MOA rifle. Apparently cheap Remingtons like the pressure point.
    5. I no longer really use it due to the psychological trauma induced by all of the above. Lots of fruitless "farting around".

I'd suggest buying the Boyd's.

Basic Member
    ;-))

blink
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    THey used to make these. I have a couple thumbhole stocks that are left handed with right hand bolts. Classic or prairie hunter styles might be avail in that configuration, too. I am not finding them on their new website, though. If I were you, I'd call and ask.
    sent an email a while ago.that would be a fantastic find if they did offer something like that!!!
    will send another in the near future if they don't respond in a week or so failing that i will give them a call.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveD View Post
    Not being a gunsmith, I was wondering while reading this thread, would something like a guiters Truss rod be useful? Seems it might allow for adjustments which (once again Im not a smith) could help with stringing shots due to how the stock is pulling. Just a thought.
    That seems quite similar to what I did with the allthread rod. Behold! A diagram:

The process went something like this:
    1. Drill lengthwise through bulkheads high enough to allow a hex nut to turn.
    2. Push allthread (gray) through the holes, threading it through hex nuts (yellow) in each of the second-from-the-end chambers (red).
    3. Seal and fill end chambers (blue) with 4:1 epoxy mixed with 30% chopped glass fibers.
    4. After blue chambers cure, tighten nuts against the bulkheads as shown.
    5. Fill all intermediate chambers with 4:1 epoxy mixed with 50% microballoons.
    6. Proceed with secondary stiffening operations.
    7. Realize nothing was learned from this experiment because more than one variable changed.

DaveD
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    That seems quite similar to what I did with the allthread rod. Behold! A diagram:

The process went something like this:
    1. Drill lengthwise through bulkheads high enough to allow a hex nut to turn.
    2. Push allthread (gray) through the holes, threading it through hex nuts (yellow) in each of the second-from-the-end chambers (red).
    3. Seal and fill end chambers (blue) with 4:1 epoxy mixed with 30% chopped glass fibers.
    4. After blue chambers cure, tighten nuts against the bulkheads as shown.
    5. Fill all intermediate chambers with 4:1 epoxy mixed with 50% microballoons.
    6. Proceed with secondary stiffening operations.
    7. Realize nothing was learned from this experiment because more than one variable changed.
    Cool experiment nonetheless. Just something I had thought about. Just trying to get a heads up on what I can do with a factory MkII stock. Im one of those cant leave it be kinda guys.

savagemann
    This helped A LOT. I used some aluminum tube and 90 minute epoxy.
    This took me down to sub MOA with consistency.
    The problem I had before doing this was when I would properly load the bipod, the stock would flex and touch the barrel on the right hand edge near the front.
    I eventually got a boyds. It took me a crap ton of work to get the boyds to shoot as well as my modified tupperware.
    I had floating issues and problems in the action area as well.
    I had to shim the action under the rear action screw.
    I have a feeling it will improve after it is bedded.
    Right now, it is mostly a sub moa rifle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12