The only rounds I've got to put through it were sighting it in, a late arriving scope kept me from shooting it. With Federal Premium 120 gr Nosler ballistic tip it will shoot 1" at 100 yards. I'll probably load for it when I can find some brass and expect it to shoot better when I find some good loads. Savage recommends the 120 gr bullet, with the 1-8 twist I'd think it would shoot a 140gr well, time will tell.

This a sweet little rifle and is a pleasure to carry, very mild recoil and as others have mentioned with deer it's a bang flop deal. I took a nice 9 pointer with it. My only complaint is the magazine, sometimes it won't pick up the round out of it. When I shot my deer I cycled the action and watched to make sure he was down. After a couple minutes to make sure he was down I opened the bolt to clear the rifle and it was empty, it didn't pick up the round out of the magazine.

I wish I'd bought a scope with an adjustable objective, the Leupold I bought has the parallax fixed at 150 yards, at closer (50-80 yards) it's not clear. I also learned that when you adjust the trigger on a hunting rifle that you may use while wearing gloves, wear gloves when you adjust it. When I shot my deer I was kinda surprised when it went off, I had gloves on and was just starting to feel the trigger and bang. That's something I'll fix.

I would recommend this rifle and caliber to anyone, it's light, has very little recoil so youngsters or ladies can shoot it and it's plenty accurate for anything most want to do. I'm looking to forward to stretching it out and see what it does. IIRC mine was $581 to my FLL, I got a total $100 rebate from Savage and Federal, sold the scope that came with it for $120 and got a free Carhartt jacket from Leupold when I purchased my new scope. A sweet deal on a sweet little rifle.