Thread: new here with ?? about 223

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    I don't think the SS or c/m will affect accuracy. C/M is a little less expensive, usually. I like my hunting barrels blued. If I do use SS for a hunting barrel, I want it bead blasted to matte finish. Target SS barrels can look really sharp when polished, especially if you go for a bright colored, high gloss stock. I have the sense that SS can be better lapped so as to make it easier to clean.

Varmint contour is more practical, I think. But, if it is purely a bench gun, as you say, then go bull. The added weight and stiffness surely can't hurt. Might be tougher to get inexpensive stocks for it, though.

I doubt any of this will affect accuracy out to 300 or even 500 yards.

FOr vendors, check out Northland Shooter Supply, Sharp Shooter Supply, McGowen Outlet, Gun Shack and Apache Gun Works. Apache is a small operation that does great work, (specializes in barrels only) uses what is more likely to be newer, fresher reamers (whose to say how new someone else's tools are, but it makes sense that his are gonna be new, anyways, simply b/c of his low volume) and can work within your particular budget, whatever that may be.
    Last edited by foxx; 01-02-2015 at 12:39 PM.