Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
Yikes we have a mess of a thread here.
We need a lot more info, and a lot more very specific wording from you.

You have been loose with descriptions and phrases. Does EVERYTHING(factory also) you've shot keyhole, or only the bulk of your reloads? Do things keyhole, or is it a fine deer killer? You've said both.

Twist rate means absolutely nothing without velocity. Not sure what book told you to use that powder, but it is VERY fast for a 160 class bullet. What is your velocity, not what a book told you, YOUR velocity? That will answer whether or not the keyhole issue is due to stabilization, or bore issues. What specific factory ammo have you shot? Weights, amounts, brands?

The most important things haven't gotten asked above your specific load troubles, is your equipment. What is the status of your trigger? Weight, creep, let-off, consistency? Is your barrel floated? Is the stock properly secured, what is the quality and state of your optics and mounts?
If absolutely NO ammo, factory or otherwise works; something else is going on. You say this has been for a year now, surely you haven't tolerated an abysmal rifle and not double checked any of these things in that amount of time?

Love to help, but need some more specific info first :)
Sorry for the confusion darkker291509,

The barrel is floated, the action is pillar bedded, and the trigger is right at 2 lbs (on the light side with slight creep but very consistent) the scope and mounts are secure. I have no idea what the velocity is because I do not have a chronograph and do not know anyone within an hours drive of me that does. The factory ammo I have shot is the Remington 140 grain SP, the Winchester 140 grain, and the Federal Fusion 140 grain. As far as bullet choices on these loads the are all what the various manufactures use in their factory ammo all of them have been soft point. The factory ammo did key hole.

The 160 grain speer spritzer's that I loaded with the 40 grains of IMR4320 do not Key hole and the POA vs the POI are very close. I wish I had taken pictures of the groups so you guys could see them but I did not. However, it was obvious this load was hitting the paper as they should. I probably got lucky with that load and landed in some weird window where things just worked out but that is not what I am looking for and is why I asked for help. I am using a Lee Loading Manual if that helps.

If the Lee is not good enough what are the best manual to use?

Bryan