Quote Originally Posted by Model12BVSS View Post
Bump. I'm debating purchasing the LRH in the same caliber as well. Would be interested to hear what everyone has to say about it.
They ain't talking.

But, in any case, I am starting to lean toward the LRH in 7mm Rem Mag. I suspect I can get it from my local FFL holder for <$850. Then I'm going to call my local gunsmith, who happens to be a Vortex dealer and see if he can cut me a deal on a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 (Mil Dot). I'll go with a Picatinny rail and Burris Zee rings (medium?).

The purpose of the rifle is for deer hunting out to 500-600 yards. I hunt a large field within walking distance from my house, and I will be hunting from an enclosed tower stand with shooting windows. Yardage will be pre-measured to certain landmarks to eliminate the need for a range finder. It hasn't been built yet, but it will have skids so I can move it around with my tractor. Yeah, I know it sounds lazy, but what do you want me to do, stalk them with a long bow? It could be worse, I can hunt from my kitchen window, but my wife doesn't like the loud noise my rifle makes when I shoot deer while she's trying to cook breakfast.

I only hunt mature bucks, unless I just don't see any and it starts to get late in the season. We do eat what we shoot, and normally one mature buck is enough for my wife, myself and my son. Georgia has a long season with liberal bag limits. You're allowed 2 bucks and about 8 does. I use a trial camera to get an idea of what kinds of bucks are roaming around, and try to wait for the big one. One always shows up every season, but I don't always get him and have to settle for a lesser buck, and sometimes even a big doe when the bucks are just too small.

I used to hunt from a climbing stand, but as I got older I moved to a lean-to stand. Now, this off-season I'm building a tower stand that I can park out in the field. A heater, swivel seat and a radio and I'll be good to go.

I haven't even started to think about load development yet.

If you see any problems with my rifle/scope choices I'd be glad to hear from you. Also, I'm looking for some ideas on where to start in my load development.