Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post

When it comes to cartridges Just my $.02 but .308 is nearly identical to 7-08. So close you have to look carefully at the two side by side to put them back in the proper box. Throw what you read on some chart out the window because in the real world there is virtually no difference in recoil or performance between them at practical ranges. Any small difference in performance doesn't become apparent for several hundred yards which is typically well outside of most normal hunting ranges
.308 is much easier to find ammo and components for as well as being cheaper to buy ammo for (locally to me anyway) and much easier ammo to find.
Hopefully this info can save you some headache and help you get a square deal.
Good luck

Shawn, If you want to trade, You should be able to get a pretty nice 110 series rifle for your Marlin.
this is good solid advice. I've used both and have abandoned the 7-08, not because there's anything wrong with the 7-08, but simply because there's so little difference ballistically between the two up to 300 yards that there's no sense in bothering with it anymore for me. I have several .308's, and find them to be much less temperamental as far as load development and consistency. The .308, in my experience, is the easiest chambering to find a good load for, often multiple good loads. I can't say that for my experience with the 7-08, although it does perform very well when you find a load it likes. The .308 is like the fat girl at the prom; easy to get along with and eager to please. May not be the prettiest or the flashiest, but it won't give you headaches or break your heart, either.