Thread: Tired of burning through scopes: need suggestion for 308 scope under $300-350

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    DzNutz
    One observation I have made in this thread is that we do not know two things about your efforts (unless I am missing it in reading). What ammo are you using (hand-loads, factory, match, cheap, etc...) and how long are you waiting in between shots for proper barrel cool, etc...?

I realize that the base screws issue could very well have been the culprit, but I am curious as to why you have the front ring base screw at 30lbs and the rear ring base screw at 15lbs? For the ring base screws I torque mine to 30-35lbs both front and back. Also check to see if the ring screws themselves, not the base screws, are not loose or too tight. Most recommend something around 20 lbs of torque for those, but no more in most cases. Another issue may be over tightening one side and causing a warp in the scope tube. Hope to H@ll it is not that!!! Hope you figure it out, good luck!

***EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION*** - My comment about Base screws may be a misinterpretation of your comment about “action screws”. If you are referring to the screws that secure the scope rings to your base, this is my concern. If you are referring to the screws (which I think you are after reading further, sorry) that secure your stock to your action, then please ignore! I would still however check all the torque settings on all screws on the scope and base.
    Last edited by DzNutz; 10-03-2014 at 12:11 PM.