Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
For what you're looking to do and the ranges you're looking to shoot, I think a .223 would be a better choice than the .22-250. Here are my reasons as to why...

1. Cost of ammo (as broke okie noted above)
2. At the range you're looking to shoot the 22-250 gains you nothing
3. With the right ammo (more specifically, bullet), the .223 is a compentent 1,000 cartridge.
4. Less recoil/muzzle jump to contend with making it easier to see your hits through the scope.
5. Did I mention the ammo is cheaper?

Don't get me wrong, the 22-250 is a great round and one of my favorites, but for a novice shooter on a budget the .223 is a much better option IMO. Just the ammo cost alone is a big benefit as the more you can afford to shoot the more proficient you will become which is what really counts.
I think the reason why I am trying to convince myself out of a .223 is that I already have a AR chambered in .223/5.56, but I really want to keep it set up as is for CQ type shooting, hence why I want a bolt action rifle! I think the real reason why I "think" I need 22-250 is because I ran across Oneill Ops on youtube, and thats what he uses! I need to realize he is much more advanced than I am and I need to learn to walk before I run. There will always be time to by more guns, right?