Thread: first pillar bedding job need help!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Devcon 10110 is really good stuff. Very hard. Good finish. Good peanut butter-like consistency when applying. Stays put. Look around on the net for your best price. It can be had for 1/2 what most places charge. Works well for the pillars and the action. It is not the best material for repairing stocks, but I really believe it might be the best for bedding actions.

Some tips: If you install the pillars first (I do) get some carriage bolts from the hardware store and cut the head off and use in place of the action screws. Screw them in place and then, then slip the action into the bedding with the screws acting as a guide. The idea here is to NOT use the action screws as a means to draw the action into the stock and hold it as the epoxy cures. It is better to use these "guide screws" and use tape to hold the action into the bedding so there is less stress imposed as it sets.

Also, there are many options for release agent, I like Brownells Accra Release. It sprays on, releases with no effort and is easy to apply without missing any spots.

Use plumbers putty for your dams and plugging holes etc. Doesn't dry out like play dough or other stuff. Just a good consistency.

Use WD-40 and plenty of q-tips to help clean up any seepage. don't rush it. Be sure to tape rear, sides and bottom of recoil lug.

When done, the action screws should turn freely then suddenly STOP when tight. (Should not gradually tighten). Almost as if they have bottomed out. If they gradually tighten, it is a sure sign there is some binding on the action somewhere, and that is precisely what you are trying to avoid. Don't be afraid to dremel it out a bit (maybe 1/8 of an inch off the top) and redo it. It usually takes me 2-3 tries to get it right, and I get frustrated trying, but it can be done.
    Last edited by foxx; 09-15-2014 at 08:35 PM.