In the last few years I did a Savage build using the 7.62x25 Tokarev round. The rifle had a 24.5" barrel. I loaded it with everything from 110 grain to 180 grain bullets. I used Trailboss, Clays, HS-6 and Longshot for that build. The reason I used the Tokarev is for the reduced case capacity to keep the powder against the primer.

I would try Trailboss because it is a fluffy powder that will take up more of the case capacity. Case capacity is going to be the consistency killer. I can say in my testing, of other subsoinc loads, that if you are using a smaller amount of powder it makes a difference in how the powder is in the case. If the powder is at the rear or front of the case is the difference between supersonic and subsonic or at least that is what I observed. This is why Trailboss is better, it takes up more volume than conventional powders making powder position less critical.

With my Tokarev case I settled on HS-6 for bulets that were 110-155 grain and Longshot for 155+. The only problem I had is that my throat wasn't deep enough for heavier bullets. By the time I got enough powder in the case I couldn't seat the bullet deep enough for the throat. I was still able to get it as quiet as a 10/22 shooting subsonic ammo (without a suppressor). It was subsonic but because of the heavy bullets the energy levels were up there. The next version I build will definitely have a longer throat.

A few friends and I have been going back and forth with testing subsonic loads for various 30 caliber guns for a few years now. I have a metric ton of data on subsonic loads that I have amassed. If I can help just ask I will do what I can. My friend does a lot of subsonic 7.62x39 loads, he has a few special built guns with 308 bores so he can use standard bullets. I had a AR build in 7.62x39 using a 308 bore as well. I shot mostly 180 grain in it before I sold it.

Here is a 168grain SMK loading compared to a 45 ACP:
[img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/Adyth/Savage/S5000149.jpg[/img]
[img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/Adyth/Savage/S5000151.jpg[/img]

Link to My Tokarev build

Dolomite