I think we will continue to see more of this approach to retail supply logistics. (Like Wal-Mart's "Just in Time Inventory" or Global Replenishment System [GRS].) Before the panic, I think lots of web retailers listed items that they did not physically inventory, and in turn goods receipt delivery from the vendor (sub-contractor) were delivered in a timely fashion, and consumers were/are unaware of the goings on. Now I think there are fewer consumers with disposable income, and the web retailers are scrambling to get a piece of the ever shrinking market. I have run into various "schemes" like the OP mentioned. Like a web flyer via email with a sale on some ammo. I purchased and credit card charged but was informed "due to the large volume" of sales they were back ordered for 2-3 months. EXACTLY one week later I receive a similar web sale flyer with the exact ammo listed as "in stock"...

Once upon a time this would work well with the speed of internet sales/hubs/shipping, but with waning items that are sought after, we can easily see the wizard behind the curtain.