Been doing some reading and shoping, this may not be the best site to ask these questions, but it's the one I trust the member's input. I get to shoot a friends ar style rifles and found a difference in the recoil I'm guessing due to the stocks or gas venting? His full size remington hunting rifle shoots harder than the short carry carbine. They both are accurate 1-2" at 100yrds with 55gr factory loads.
Expect to go with .223 because I load for it to varmint and target shoot. Will never compete in matches other than from the farm bench out front, 100yrd-350yrds but like to see small groups.

Can go with the Ruger mini 14 and maybe have it accurized later (same total price), or get an ar style and buy or build it to shoot. Not sure if the mini 14 likes reloads as do the others. That's the only reason I might not use the mini-14.

If I understand, the upper on an ar is the barrel, gas lug and forearm, and the lower is the trigger and mag assembly? So if the barrel is say 8 twist good quality 18-20" and free floated, that's a good place to start? Second, triggers are very important but don't know why a two stage is used. I had the set trigger on my CZ and disabled it, didn't like it. Why not use a good trigger assembly instead? On a two stage, does the trigger have to be released back to cock it even in rapid fire?