Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by JBR27
However, the gunsmith that built the muzzle break pointed out that one of the scope mounting plates was loose (and no amount of tinkering would secure it). So I tossed that set up and went to a 1-piece mounting system, but then experienced the scope sliding forward after only three or four fired rounds, evidenced by the finish on the scope being scraped away by the rings even though I simply can’t turn the ring screws any tighter. At this stage I think I need to start from scratch with a new mounting system and was wondering what many of you guys use or recommend. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I'm not quite clear here, was the "gunsmith" doing the tinkering or was it you? This sounds like a simple case of the front screw being too long and bottoming on the barrel threads. Over tightening screws leads to damage every time !

As far as a mounting system goes, my .300 WM has the Savage factory bases and Burris Signature rings, it works so I didn't feel a need to change it. That being said, if it is not installed correctly no mounting system will work.

Bob