I dislike Choate and do not suggest them to clients personally. In my professional opinion only stock that comes close to what B&C offers is Manners and that a huge price jump. In that price range you really should go with a Bell and Carson. Here is what i would suggest get the tactical style made for the m24 build barrels that have a huge inlet for barrel already. I believe Varmint Tactical section has the model and you can look through for the specific design you like.

Then get that and use sandpaper and a dowel to open it if needed. If you end up with too large you can bed the back and of receiver and start of barrel and then partially down barrel to provide stress relief if needed. Hunting i use a B&C Tactical Varmint with Harris on a 26 Inch Weatherby Vanguard S2 semi custom upgrade .308 with Bushnell tactical 24X and 50mm scope. I simply remove and pack parts of it and then use a backpack with built in scabbard and i barely notice it. My normal bear and deer spot is a 60ish mile hike in.

Point is i strongly suggest B&C because they are rugged, reliable, affordable, and while not light weight they are not "heavy". If your cutting weight you do it in the scope, rifle, and then look at stock. But also remember long range hunting your going to need the stability that weight provides and you will be walking less inherently. Also best option is to learn prone well and learn how to pick vantage points to spot and shoot from.