There has been over the last couple or more decades since the introduction of the Winchester Model 70 .458 Winchester Magnum over the expensive double barrels from Europe a railing on using a .458 Winchester (or Lott which just gives more versatility) for "long range" shots in Africa on lighter than elephant game. So what. Use the open sighted .458 Winchester and kill anything around and under 100 yards and forget the .30-06 or .300 Magnum you take as the second rifle for "long range."

A .458 Win or Lott is all needed in the world and if the range somehow exceeds the over 2K fps MV of the Lott with 500 gr bullets then I really doubt a .300 or .338 leper is going to make a dent of difference.

I took out my only .458 about a year or more ago using open sights. It's the Ruger 1 Tropical .458 Lott single shot.

If I had to put one shot somewhere under 100 yards to stop something immediately that is huge it would be this rifle from Ruger. I never had to adjust the open sights on it. It is on target like any respectable rifle maker does for their rifles.

Savage was on target for me with a rim fire and a center fire the first time around in the bolt action. The 99 is another story cuz I had one in .243....