Quote Originally Posted by cranebird View Post
If I were to guess, you seated the primer into the case when a piece of extruded powder was on the primer seating pin and embossed the primer. Are those round case markings from your extractor pin ?
No, I don't think so... First, I don't load anything with extruded stick powder at this time. Second, I hand prime and only put enough pressure on the primer to pre-seat the primer anvil. If you could see in person how deep that mark is, I don't think with a hand primer tool I could even seat it that hard. Third, I check each round after priming it just in case of primer flip, and to make sure they seat deep enough. That would have stuck out like a sore thumb. No, the only thing I'm beginning to think it could have been, is maybe, a piece of bristle out of the bronze bore brush I was using about every ten shots to clean the bore up must of by some "unknown" set of circumstances wound up on the bolt face somehow. Which is strange because I had the bolt out of the rifle for each cleaning.

Whatever it was must have been in the chamber during ignition, because it looks like it changed the head spacing and let the primer bulge back out somewhat at the firing pin dimple. If you note in the photo the damaged primer is not nearly as flattened out as the other one, and the firing pin dimple is about half re-expanded. Thank goodness it doesn't seem to have left any mark on the bolt face, but whatever it was is most likely what jammed under the extractor claw and made me take note that there was a problem to start with. I'd say I was extremely blessed, and or, fortunate that it worked out as it did. I may never know exactly what caused it, but as time goes on I'm beginning to think it was just a set of fluke circumstances and not a design weakness with the firearm itself.

Oh, to answer your question about the marks on the brass. I take it you mean the "Ejector Pin"... But no, those are manufacturing marks on that particular brand of brass, there are no other marks like that on the other brands of brass I shoot.