I've been trying to resist the urge for a 280 AI for several years. When I saw the first post on this barrel, I said what the heck. I ordered one to take a look. When I received the barrel and saw it was a #2 light weight contour, I decided to put it on a Savage 111 LWH action. Below is a picture of my latest build with the 280 AI barrel. To give it that classic look, I did a 120 grit AO sand-blast and air brushed the action and SS barrel with satin black bake-on Gun-Kote. I also bedded the action to free float the barrel and tang. Total rifle weight is 7 lbs, 7 oz with scope. Took it to the range this past weekend for break-in and to start load development. I gave IMR 7828 SSC and H4831 SC a try with 150 gr Ballistic Tips using Nosler 280AI load data. The thin barrel heats up quickly in 75F weather and I beleive 3-shot strings are about the limit to avoid fliers. I saw no pressure signs working up to the max load with H4831 in 0.5 gr increments. Started to see pressure signs at 62.5 gr of IMR7828. I found a promising load with both powders. But IMR 7828 shows the most potential so far. The barrel cleaned up quickly with only minor copper fouling when compared to my other Savage factory barrels. So far, I am pleased with this barrel.

Anyone with a 24" 9 twist barrel in 280AI got some powder, bullet and load advice they can share? I'm using Nosler 280 AI brass, and CCI primers. Thanks.