I owned a 300 WM for a long time. Loved the gun. VERY VERY accurate. Shot it a bunch over 30 yrs. Great caliber. Great for long distance precision shooting.

Now the downside - IMO it is NOT a beginner caliber!!! You have to shoot it a good bit to get behind it. And NOT be recoil sensitive. When I was younger, no issues whatsoever. As I hit late 40's/50 - AND had major shoulder surgery, it was less fun. Another thing that helps a LOT is the proper stock. I put a Bell and Carlson on mine, and the higher comb was a godsend!

Now the silver lining - IF, and ONLY IF, you reload, then you can load the 300 WM at any level from 300 Savage (or lighter w/ youth loads?) thru 308 and 30-06 to full house 300 WM with 190 Match loads.

My recommendation - IF you are willing to do a lot of reloading work to get various recoil level loads, and put in a lot of trigger time, then you should be fine. If, otoh, you want to just shoot mostly factory, and not put a LOT of trigger time in, then I would suggest going with a 308 hvy bbl. Think you would be much happier.