Quote Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
A regular go-nogo gauge set has a nogo that is longer than the go gauge (go gauge = minimum head space whereas the nogo is the maximum allowable headspace. Field is even longer)

So when you use a "proper" ackley go gauge, it is used to set minimum head space and the addition of the paper lengthens the gauge to see if the bolt will still close. Its just a sanity check to be sure that you didn't make a mistake in setting the head space to the go gauge.
Ok, that I totally get. A go is minimum and no-go maximum. That is standard headspacing 101 so long as those gauges are for the chamber you are headspacing.

Quote Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
I personally would rather get the trur ackley gauge which makes full contact on the shoulder as opposed to using a regular gauge with a shim that makes a line contact and there is increased risk of damaging the chamber due to the high load concentration with the line contact.
What I don't get is how you could use a "regular" (non-AI) go gauge with a shim to headspace for an AI chamber. You said you wouldn't want to to use a "Regular Go gauge with a shim" for fear of damaging the chamber because of the smaller single point contact area that the standard gauge would have when inserted in a AI chamber.

If a Go-Gauge for the standard/parent chamber is the No-Go gauge for the Ackley Chamber, then in what combination would a person ever insert a Gauge for the regular/standard chamber with a shim when headspacing an Ackley chamber? The Parent/Standard/Regular Go-Gauge is already .004" longer than the Go-Gauge for the Ackley Chamber.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, just not sure why a person would ever put a Standard Go-Gauge with a shim into a Ackley Chamber.