Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
Strait off harnadys website
"A bullet’s sectional density also affects the amount of damage it can cause. Sectional density (a bullet’s weight in pounds divided by its diameter squared) describes a bullet’s length for its diameter: The higher the number, the longer the bullet. Generally speaking, the larger a bullet’s sectional density, the deeper it will penetrate."
And again
"Expansion can be controlled by the bullet’s tip design and by the jacket construction. Rapidly expanding bullets create a wider wound channel, displacing even more tissue and increasing temporary cavitation, but they also increase drag, thus requiring more energy and momentum to drive through tissue, and in general don’t penetrate as deeply as bullets designed to expand more slowly"
...and does Hornady give a physical basis for the model?

I used the HITS methodology for a long time both for personal investigations and for my writing.

It was the writing, particularly the search for a way to modify the HITS methodology to include premium bullets, that lead me to the alternative approach.

In my view, HITS still gives results that are hard to argue with and any disagreements with the recommended "Ideal Bullet Weight" tend to be at the margins.