03, don't give up on the .22. I have 2 handguns and 3 rifles chambered for .17 HMR and they shoot shoot fantastic. I use the Savage .17s to teach new shooters / visitors to my buddy's farm. Perfect gun/cal for that. One thought that may or may not help with your decision....
"reactive targets". I make them for our range. I have found that the HMR is about 75% effecting 'setting them off'. .22s won't. .223 and up, 100% effective.
At some point (hopefully!!) the bottom feeders just trying to buy and flip the .22 ammo will reach the point of diminishing returns. If guys wouldn't buy 'flea market .22 ammo' or any other source over regular price, this nonsense would just stop.
.22lr ammo is out there, ya just gotta look.
I was secure enough in the future of .22 lr ammo to recently buy another bolt gun for this caliber. Not a Savage though, sorry folks.....

The ammo mfg all say they are going to 'greatly expand production in 2014' for our beloved .22lr.

Lastly think about this..... the current shortage of .22 mag is no doubt due to the huge increase in .17 HMR production. SAME case, just necked down.....

Just like when the .17 WSM first came out...Winchester speculated about ctgs based on the nail gun ctg in additional .22, .25 calibers.
That is, until the crummy Savage BMag hit the shelves. I own one of the first, so I can honestly state that. I own >12 Savage rifles, and just love them.....
I also own the new HB SS .17 WSM version and it shoots FANTASTIC!!!!!!!! Due to the pricing, you may find that .17 WSM is the same price as .17 HMR (and cheaper than .22lr!!).
Combine any of those 3 calibers (with a suitable stock) and you'll have an excellent teaching tool. However, when you see the kids eyes after they shoot a 2 liter water filled soda jug (or a reactive target) with the .17 WSM, and you'll know the answer. (new SS BMag)

ron