I've tried the 30-06 managed recoil loads before, just out of curiosity, and honestly could not tell the difference. If someone were to load the magazine of my rifle randomly alternating between the Managed Recoil, and regular 150 gr Core-Lokts, I couldn't tell the difference by shooting them. Maybe it'll be different for you, with you shooting 165's.
In my opinion, recoil (or at least perceived recoil) is very subjective in nature. There are many factors that play into a given rifle's "kick". Obviously, the caliber, and bullet weight, and weight of, and type of charge of powder are huge factors. Rifle weight is another biggie. Lighter rifles tend to kick harder. Those things are basic factors in the physics of recoil. But from there, you have other things, such as stock design and recoil pad quality, that affect perceived recoil. The single most unpleasant to shoot rifle I've ever owned, was my first Savage in 7mm-08. The design of that wood stock, with lots of drop, and the hard sharp pad, made the little 7 feel much bigger than it should have. I've since had many other rifles that I've fitted with better quality stocks, with straighter combs and better pads, that have really changed the personality of each one. I wouldn't want to shoot that Savage wood stock I had on the 7-08 with any larger caliber, like a 30-06.
Hearing protection, or more accurately lack thereof, can also influence perceived recoil tremendously. I'm a great believer in wearing both plugs and muffs. This is an absolute must for new shooters, especially youngsters. If your ears are in pain with each shot, your brain will have a hard time differentiating between pain caused by the muzzle blast (sound) and actual recoil of the gun. At that point the whole experience just becomes a negative, and flinches develop. Also if you have any preexisting shoulder problems, or you are of smaller stature, then a wearable shoulder pad can be a great help. Even a doubled-up towel is good. Sorry for the rant, but one of my biggest pet peeves at the range, is seeing the occasional he-man father forcing his usually very young son to "be a man" and shoot, for the first time ever, a large caliber light weight hunting rifle with little or no hearing protection, poor form, and very poor instruction. Then when the little guy suffers through it just to please Dad, he laughs and makes him do it again. I know I'm way off topic, but that is how poor shooters come about, and it's very hard to overcome those bad habits once they're ingrained.