Thread: Tough to chamber a round in 110

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBS70 View Post
    I also have problems with my 308 Hog Hunter being difficult to chamber a round.
    The rifle was purchased new.
    And sometimes not wanting to eject the casing, on occasion I've had to use insert my cleaning rod down the bore to get the bolt back to eject the spent casing.
    I FL size my casings every time, I've used a Lee fl die & a RCBS fl die and it doesn't seem to make a difference.
    ALL loads were in the middle of the recommended reloading data and no mag primers were used.
    I've used both beam scales & electronic scales, and different powders that were recommended for the 308.
    OAL of case is within tolerances.
    OAL of loaded round with tolerances.
    I'm at a loss.
    Are you getting all the sizing lube off? Have you tried a go/no go guage to check headspace?
    I would measure an unfired round and sized case (pull the bullet tip out) to the midpoint (datum) on the case shoulder, then measure a fired round to see how much the neck has move forward. You should have at least two thousandths of an inch less on your your sized case, when compared to the fired case. ( you can use an empty 40 s&w case as it will set close enough to the datum to measure this if you do not have the correct bushing). This is a cheap way to check headspace without a go gauge.......
    If you can not push the shoulder back enough with our current dies, I would submit your rifle should go back, or you grind the bottom of your sizing die down.
    Does this happen with factory ammo???????? I find factory ammo has shoulders that are set back way too much.
    Last edited by Handloader; 03-12-2014 at 11:02 PM.
    Be careful of what you wish for, and always be mindful of what others are trying to accomplish