Quote Originally Posted by *tim* View Post
Has anyone ever taken apart factory ammo and put everything back together to your specs? I was thinking of just averaging the powder and seeting the bullet to the right depth. I know it prolly wont be worth the time but Im goin to have some free time this weekend and tinkering on ammo is always fun
Course its worth your time. Thats what reloading is all about.
Ive done it several times with several types of fact. ammo that gave me at least .5 moa @ 100.
I recently took apart some Federal Gold metal Match 168 SMK,s. The powder "look,d" identical to 4064 and measured an "exact" 42.8 gr. The bullet had (what I consider) deep crimping marks as well. Could it really be 4064 that us loaders can get a hold of off the store selves?.....Probably not........
So...seeing as how I had all the components that Fed used from primers to case,s...crimp etc...and I chrono,d the factory loads.I loaded some up. My version was a bit too fast and didnt pattern well. I simply lighten,d the chrg and am now seeing .5 moa @ 100.
I strongly suggest you use a collet puller though. Your gaurantee,d not to loose any propellant as to get a precise measurment.
Good luck