After reading about the Boyd's stocks and seeing pics of them I decided to take that giant step forward & retire a couple of my plastic stocks. It's not going to be easy after all the modifications & work I did to them over the years. They served me well & they kept my aim straight & true BUT...
After meeting that guy that broke his at the grip (fla hunter, I think) I always worried about that happening to me at a very inopportune time. I'm going to change out 2 on my favorite rifles - the 25-06 & the .308. I feel bad about retiring them but I believe its time to upgrade.
Now...
Questions for you guys that did the change out.
I ordered mine with a stainless trigger guards. Anyone here do the same? Anything I need to know or is it pretty straight forward?
Did anyone have to wallow out the barrel channel to accommodate a fat barrel? Pretty easy? - as in wood reasonably workable or is it like cutting petrified wood?
Sorry for all the questions. This isn't easy for me. I've grown quite fond of the plastic stocks & almost feel like I'm about to lose a close friend.
The day I receive them, before I do the swap out I'll be asking everyone to observe 60 seconds of silence with me to honor them.