Quote Originally Posted by Ncsavage View Post
Looks like a one proud parent and a great shot! My daughter will be 9 by next season so I'm hoping she can do the shooting this time.

Same question to you if you don't mind. Why the 260 over the 6.5 Creedmoor? I was all set on the 260 but the 6.5 Creedmoor seems to get a lot of good feedback as a hunting round. I'm more familiar with the 260 but it sounds like the Creedmoor may be less finicky than the 260.
I chose the .260 because I already had other rifles in the .260 Rem and did not see any advantage by switching to the Creedmore. Yes the 6.5 CM has a longer neck and if you are going to shoot the longer/heavier bullets it might be the better choice. For me I wanted light weight and low recoil rifle so I choose to shoot the the 120 grain class bullets and specifically the Barnes TTSX. I get 3000 plus fps from my 20 inch LWH barrel. (Yes it is a carefully worked up hot hunting load) This recipe gives the energy of 1000 Ft lbs out to 600 yards that I personally require for a clean kill on big game. The recoil for this setup at a rifle weight of 6.5 lbs is 13.79 Ft lbs.
Maybe you plan to shoot the Berger 140 grain vld hunting bullet that has a G1 BC of .612 in the 6.5 CM. For hunting I see no advantage by going this route. Assuming you get to 2700 fps with this bullet. It will still only carry 1000 Ft lbs of energy out to 600 yards. The recoil for this set up assuming the same 6.5 lb rifle would be 14.75 Ft lbs. Target shooting is another matter.
Accuracy wise I consider them equals. For the light weight 120 grain class bullets you will get better performance out of a .260 Remington. For the longer/heavier high BC class bullets the 6.5 CM with it shorter case length and longer neck might be the better route to take. I can't get enough of the 6.5 bullet. Welcome to the 6.5 club and good luck with your choice.

Btw......... I just finished putting together a bolt rifle in 6.5 Grendel. It weighs under 6 lbs with scope. With the same 120 grain bullets I should easily get 2500 FPS without a problem. The recoil on this rifle should be around 9 Ft lbs.