Gary
The ones I currently have are not illuminated. I have been considering one though. I have found crazy good light transmission that will enable me to see well before and after legal shooting hours across open greenfields when deer hunting. (1/2hr before sunrise and 1/2hr after sunset)They still do well with very little ambient light into darkness but the standard etched reticle becomes hard to pick up then even when you can still see game in the field. of course it's too late to shoot by then and I'm usually just trying to make sure I don't spook anything while getting out of my stand. I do like the adjustments and I have found them to be repeatable when put to the box test. My past Burris product experiences and the price, especially with the rebate they were offering at the time, got me to buy my first E1. I couldn't believe what I got for my money and so as I needed glass I bought 2 more. Yes I have several of the"Gold standard" for hunting rigs as well as several other well known major Brands that are well reviewed and often recommended by others. I have no problem recommending the Burris E1 based on the great performance I've experienced.
I guess not too many guys have tried em or I'm sure there would be lots more good reviews on em.
Good luck