Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim View Post
Saw,

As for action length, what bullet and OAL of cartridge are you ending up with? My 6.5x284 is in a single shot 12F, and with the Berger 140 VLD match LR's I cannot extract a loaded round. The port length is too small. Just something to take into consideration.

If you're not sure what you're OAL will end up as, you can seat a bullet now and just drop it in your chamber, start seated long and keep seating it in until the cartridge head spaces. That will give you a good idea of cartridge length with bullet touching lands.
I have yet to load up any rounds. If I do end up using the short action, I am not real worried about OAL or ejecting a loaded cartridge: it would be a single shot. I have a Savage 116 long action arriving at the end of the week specifically for the 6.5-284 shilen barrel. However, I might leave the 116 alone and shoot it as is. This would leave the 6.5-284 Shilen barrel laying around for a cold and rainy day:) The 260 barrel will be going on the short action varmint: building two complete rifles based on Savage actions.

Shawn