Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bedding job fail

Basic Member

Yep, just as barrel-nut said.

I've made this recommendation before...

at this point it might be best to take a Xanax and forget about it for a day. :)

If there is any epoxy showing, try removing it now with wd-40 and a q-tip or cleaning patch. Other than that, let it go.

Eager to hear how it turns out.

Basic Member
    Yeah, i cleaned the excess that poured out above the action. I think ill just leave it till it cures and dremel out any overflow i see inside the stock.

Take a break. Pop a top. Try not to think about it. Get some sleep. :-)

Check out some of the great bedding video's on youtube.That way you can get a better handle on the situation.I dont know your money situation but a better stock with good pillars or a bedding block like the hs precision's or bell and carlsons would be a way better start as they are more rigid.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    Check out some of the great bedding video's on youtube.That way you can get a better handle on the situation.I dont know your money situation but a better stock with good pillars or a bedding block like the hs precision's or bell and carlsons would be a way better start as they are more rigid.
    Too expensive for me. The cheapest were boyds tacticool and choate tactical stocks. I know its asking for a lot from a factory stock but i wanted to try anyways and i really only use it for hunting so while a better stock would be nice it wont do anything my current one cant.

You'll be fine with that one. I've shot some of my finest groups from my 10FP when I had the original flimsy Tupperware stock on it, before I "upgraded" it. Roll with what you've got now and be proud of it.

Basic Member
    Quick question. I dont remember how far forward (past the barrel nut) that i applied release to. What can i do to break it free if it does get stuck?

I ask because i went to turn the action screws and well thats when i noticed a bunch of epoxy spilled forward of barrel nut. Theres tape on the stock just after the tape on the barrel nut though. So i think it shouldnt get stuck?

Well, hopefully you did put release agent there, and just don't remember it. If it sticks, i've heard of people putting the whole rifle in the deep freezer for a number of hours, then taking it out and sharply rapping on it on the sides of the stock with a hard rubber or leather mallet to break it loose. The metal should contract slightly away from the bedding material when it gets really cold. And the shock of rapping on it should pop it out. But hopefully you won't have to worry with any of this.

Basic Member
    It might stick. Don't worry about it. What's done is done. Leave it alone! You can only mess it up by moving it at this point. If it needs to be cut-off of the barrel I am sure it can be replaced. I might even have one I'd give you. Put it down and post your results in the morning!!!! :)

Basic Member
    BTW, I have the same feeling every time I bed an action.

And don't panic if it does stick. And don't start cutting off the stock, either. I meant that as a worst-case scenario.
    Last edited by foxx; 02-03-2014 at 11:45 PM.

Basic Member
    Ok, ok lol. Im leaving it be thanks again guys.

Basic Member
    Just thinking out loud... what if he took a length of piano wire or bare electrical wire and ran it up along the underside of the barrel now, before it is fully set, so as to "cut" the epoxy. Just in case?

If its Devcon, it's probably too late. I'd leave it be.

Basic Member
    yep. Dang it, Shooter! Now you got me wanting to mess with it, too. :)

sa-shooter
    Do yourself a favor and follow Thomae advise and go to link he indicated it is one of the best tutorials on bedding.
    after reading the article, then decide how you want to correct your bedding problem. I have done 8 rifles following that method and all have come out with no problems. I am on my ninth one as I write this.

Basic Member
    It came out just perfect. The bedding looks amazing and the cleanup wasnt bad. Now if only i could get all the clay out of the action and im fixin to try and figure out how the trigger gets back in.

Basic Member
    Everything is now back together. Safety checked, functioned checked. Now to wait a week before i shoot it.

A_LOTA_NOTA
    Post some pics!

Quote Originally Posted by shooterfpga View Post
    It came out just perfect. The bedding looks amazing and the cleanup wasnt bad. Now if only i could get all the clay out of the action and im fixin to try and figure out how the trigger gets back in.

Basic Member
    Getting the plumber's putty outta everything is a female dog! I got a set of cheap dental picks somewhere just for that purpose. I sit in front of the TV with a rag on my lap and pick away at it, sometimes for hours.

Maybe someone else on here knows a better way.

Anyhow, Congrats! Feels good, don't it?

Basic Member
    OMG! Yes it does feel great. Its finally done and correct. Now i can finally put it away and be happy. Everything feels much more rigid and i cant detect any deflection in the stock at the barrel even though i didnt reinforce that area with arrow bodies or anything.

Basic Member
    I haven't tried it yet, but I have heard that if you mix a little Vegitable Oil in the putty, clay, etc., it stays together and comes out easier????

Basic Member
    Makes sense, i think next time i do a bedding job ill use pam on the parts where the clay butts up against the action and the shoe polish against the stock.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    I haven't tried it yet, but I have heard that if you mix a little Vegitable Oil in the putty, clay, etc., it stays together and comes out easier????
    It generally pulls out in one piece instead of having to scrap and brush it out and shortens the final cleanup time. Its one of the many "tricks" I learned over the years from some of the old time gunwreakers.

How much? Take about a one inch size ball of the putty, add maybe 5-10 drops of oil then knead it in. When it comes off your fingers easily with out leaving any behind its about right. You have to experiment with it a bit.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    FWIW, when I was digging the clay out of the nooks and crannies in my gun, I poured a little kerosene into a cup and used an old toothbrush to scrub the clay out of the recesses. Since the clay was oil-based, it kind of dissolved the clay and made it easier to get out with rags, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterfpga View Post
    That's awesome! Congratulations and happy shooting. Always more fun to shoot something that you actually had a hand in creating.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast