Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
Yeah, me too!!! Haha. Using the very rifle that I now own, I watched him beat out 21 other competitors including me, (he came in third out of 24) in a 100-200 yd VFS match several years ago. Bear in mind, roughly 3/4 of those guys were experienced benchrest competitors shooting $4000 custom benchrest rifles chambered in 30BR and 6PPC. Here 'ole Larry was using an $1150 factory rifle, bone stock except for a good bedding job and a Jewell two ounce trigger. And he was shooting 175 gr SMK's. It was my first match ever, and I was shooting my Savage 10 FP at the bench next to him, and I remember just being astounded at how well he shot that rifle. Needless to say, when he later made the jump up to his own custom 30 BR and he mentioned the possibility that he might sell the 5R, I jumped on it. Just wish I could shoot it as well as he did.

I've never chrono'ed the 168's from the Remington, but in my 24" barreled .308 Savage 10FP I get a pretty consistent 2715 fps from 43.5 gr of RL15 behind a 168 AMax, with Lapua brass and CCI LR primers. It's pretty much my standard load, it works well in all my .308's. I don't get to shoot much lately so I don't really have time for extensive load development.
That speed makes sense. Federal Gold medal match in 168 smk that I just happened to clock yesterday were running "exactly" 2715 4 shot average...well if that dont beat all.
I only have about 2.5 lbs of rl-15 left and Im saving it for my 150smk loads. Sure wish I couod get my hands on another 5lb jug....but....seeing as how I cant find it?.. ive gone 4064