Thread: Aftermarket trigger: Timney vs. Rifle Basix

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Westcliffe01
    I have not seen a Timney and do not own an axis either. I missed the axis reference in the first post.

I have to seriously question the sense in putting a high value trigger into a $300 rifle ? For the cost difference one could probably buy a model 12 or a model 10 with a decent trigger in it, not to mention a better stock, proper recoil lug and a metal magazine. My model 10PC cost me $550 (with fiberglass stock and aluminum bedding block) and my model 12 LPV cost $770 which included the stainless action, 26" fluted varmint barrel, laminate stock and target accutrigger.

A different example, I got a model 110 in 270 for $285 (lightly used) with a synthetic stock. Removed the $<50 tomato stake sporter barrel and fitted a Shilen. With the model 12, there is a steady demand for the factory fluted varmint barrels, and a new take off will fetch $180, so by the time you are done with adding a Shilen, you are only out of pocket about $160.

Trying to "work up" to that kind of spec from an axis does not make a whole lot of sense in my mind. Leave the Axis models for the people who are satisfied with a group the size of a paper plate at 100 yards. Those are the kind of people that the rifles are marketed to.

I understand that one of the admins on this forum has an axis project going which is a full custom, but I fail to see the sense in it. One could buy a target action for ~$450 which already includes a target accutrigger, proper recoil lug and barrel nut, or you can spend $300+ on a rifle with a junk scope, junk stock, junk trigger, junk recoil lug, bunch of parts not compatible with other Savage rifles, throw all the junk away, then pay someone (SSS) who is reported to have Loooong lead times and terrible customer service (even though their actual PRODUCT may be fine) rework it, true and time, make the breech end non standard so it can accept a "modified" factory recoil lug... I mean, it sounds to me like doing something to prove a point as opposed to something that just makes sense.

Would you go out today and buy a Yugoslavian Mauser M24/47 for $280 just so that you could strip it down to the receiver, then on that, replace the trigger, have the bolt forged, fit a low profile safety, machine the action for scope bases, have the receiver blueprinted (total value by the time you are done = price of a Shilen/Stiller/Pierce custom action) ? I don't see the sense in it. Much easier to write 1 check for a stiller, every part is cnc machined, properly heat treated, ground etc and if you ever want to sell it, it is still a Stiller/Pierce/insert name and enyone who would consider buying it knows what it is.

To get this straight, with a lathe and a mill, I could machine an action and bolt from scratch. Throw in some wire EDM time and one can cut the lug raceways and make your trigger from scratch. The question is simply why one would ? If we woke up tomorrow and all our weapons had disapeared, one would have a valid reason for such a project for "strategic" purpose. Otherwise I am left shaking my head.
    Last edited by Westcliffe01; 01-02-2014 at 10:06 PM.