Quote Originally Posted by barrel-nut View Post
Thanks emt, that's good info. For this year I have switched to 150 gr. NBT's (same as Silvertips?) being pushed out of my .308 at ~2950 fps, a hot load for a .308 but seems to be ok in my rifle. Unfortunately haven't had much opportunity to hunt yet, but will get a week in Alabama soon to hopefully try it out. I've avoided NBT's for a long time due to a firsthand account from a friend years ago, with a .308/150 gr., who experienced a dramatic failure on a small doe at only 80 yds. Bullet jacket was found on the ground where the deer had been standing; it looked just like my SST jacket- a mushroomed, empty cup. Deer was never found. Good to know that some folks have great success with the NBT's because I sure like the way they shoot and would really like to see them work well if I can manage to put one into a deer. Here's a pic of the SST jacket from my deer:

And the kind of groups the NBT's deliver in my rifle- of course they're not all like that, but close:

I want to stress that I'm not calling the SST's "junk" or downing Hornady products in any way. I love their AMax bullets and have used them on hogs, with head shots, with great success. But I'm just not real comfortable with a bullet that is likely to part company with half of itself immediately on impact. If that bullet core had taken a left and went into my deer's stomach, instead of taking a right and severing it's neck, the results would surely not have been good, with no blood trail at all in really thick cover. I respect the animals I take too much to take unnecessary chances with bullets that may react unpredictably. Also, I had to throw away the entire off shoulder, and the entire neck, due to all the tiny lead fragments in the meat.
I have shot the 150 BT's from my older Savage 99 in 308 at very similar velocities as you posted in years past with very good results. It was my favorite load and rifle for years when I hunted out west for Blacktail and Muley's in WA/OR. I've never experienced a failure in that load either and have taken plenty of deer and a few elk with it. My grandfather also used the 150g BT's for years with success. Happy hunting!